Start a project
You’ll find all the projects you’re working on listed in the sidebar. If you’re starting a new project, use the repository drop down menu to create a new repository or clone an existing one directly from GitHub.com.
Branches are essential to proposing changes and reviewing code on GitHub—and they’re always available in the top left corner of the repository view. Just select the current branch to switch branches or create a new one.
Craft the perfect commit
View a diff of your uncommitted changes, and form the perfect commit by selecting the files—or even the specific lines—that make up a change. Enter the summary and description, then commit.
See your history
Visualize your changes and commits in the comparison graph. You can select commits on the graph to navigate through the history of your local branches.
Create a pull request
Once you’re happy with your commits, you can open a pull request for review and discussion without leaving GitHub Desktop or touching the command line.
Merge and deploy
Browse commits on local and remote branches to quickly and clearly see what changes still need to be merged. You can also merge your code to the master branch for deployment right from the app.
- Added – Allow users to rename and delete branches via a new context menu on branches in the branches list – #5803 #10432
- Fixed – Allow users to modify git config on a per repository basis – #9449. Thanks @say25!
- Fixed – The app is not maximized on macOS every time the user clicks on the app’s icon in the dock – #11590
- Fixed – Always respect the default branch name chosen by the user – #11447
- Fixed – Notepad++ does not close when GitHub Desktop closes – #11518
- Improved – Update app icon for Windows – #11541
- Improved – Suggest emails from GitHub accounts and warn about misattributed commits in the commit message area – #11591
- Improved – Suggest emails from GitHub accounts and warn about misattributed commits in onboarding and preferences – #11561 #11566
- Improved – Remote Git operations are faster and less prone to errors on Windows – #11510
- Improved – Automatic branch fast-forwarding is now faster – #11463