Wireshark is the world’s foremost and widely-used network protocol analyzer. It lets you see what’s happening on your network at a microscopic level and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many commercial and non-profit enterprises, government agencies, and educational institutions. Wireshark development thrives thanks to the volunteer contributions of networking experts around the globe and is the continuation of a project started by Gerald Combs in 1998.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Pcap NG, Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network General Sniffer (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer Pro, and NetXray, Network Instruments Observer, NetScreen snoop, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN/LAN Analyzer, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, WildPackets EtherPeek/TokenPeek/AiroPeek, and many others
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platform)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
- The Windows installers now ship with Npcap 1.31. They previously shipped with Npcap 1.10.
- The Windows installers now ship with Qt 5.15.2. They previously shipped with Qt 5.12.1.
- wnpa-sec-2021-04 DVB-S2-BB dissector infinite loop
- The following bugs have been fixed:
- Macro filters can’t handle escaped characters Issue 17160.
- Display filter crashes Wireshark Issue 17316.
- IEEE-1588 Signalling Unicast TLV incorrectly reported as being malformed Issue 17355.
- IETF QUIC TLS decryption error with extraneous packets during the handshake Issue 17383.
- Statistics → Resolved Addresses: multi-protocol (TCP/UDP/…) ports not displayed Issue 17395.
New and Updated Features
New Protocol Support
- There are no new protocols in this release.
Updated Protocol Support
- DNP, DVB-S2-BB, ProtoBuf, PTP, QUIC, RANAP, and TACACS
New and Updated Capture File Support
- Ascend, ERF, K12, NetScaler, and pcapng